Bethany Student Council members play an integral part in promoting school spirit, in organizing service opportunities, and in providing social activities for all grade levels. Students in grades four through eight have the opportunity to run for student council offices. The offices of president and vice-president are elected from eighth grade; secretary and treasurer from seventh grade; and students in fourth, fifth, and sixth grades are elected as class representatives. Elections are held every September.
Statement of Purpose and Goals
The purposes of the Bethany School Student Council are represented by four areas of concentration, characterized by the words: Spirit, Service, Social, and Scholar. Any activities promoted by the Council will be directed in one of these areas:
- Spirit: As a Christian organization, Student Council seeks to provide an outlet for students' spiritual development and expression. Spirit also signifies the strong loyalty which Student Council members maintain to Bethany School.
- Service: The Student Council shall involve itself in activities of meaningful service to our school, our community and to those in need. Students will learn through these activities that the Christian life involves sharing of ourselves with others.
- Social: Activities which benefit healthy social interaction will be sponsored by the Student Council. There will be activities which are age appropriate and which foster proper relationships between students.
- Scholar: All members of Student Councill shall strive for academic excellence.
The Bethany School Student Council hosts a variety of activities and fundraisers throughout the year.
Some of the yearly events include:
- pictures with Santa
- school dances for the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders
- movie night for lower school students
- Teacher auction -- teachers offer 'prizes' for which students may bid
- Spring talent show
- Boxtops for Education
- Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week
Recent service projects have included:
- a canned food drive to benefit the Free Store Food Bank
- Cooperative for Education in Ecuador-- collection of books and supplies to benefit school children
- Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund
- Pasta for Pennies
- Cooperative effort with Son Light Power-- providing solar power to schools in Latin America
- American Cancer Society
- Book collections for Children's Hospital and a school in Newport, Kentucky
- Por los Ninos in Reque, Peru-- collection of books, school supplies, and other needed items for children in Peru